Steps to take after a car collision
Whether it was your fault or someone else’s, a car accident can be a stressful, overwhelming experience. Fender benders happen every single day in the U.S., however, many people make the mistake of leaving the scene before exchanging information, failing to call a lawyer right away, or thinking they do not need to seek medical attention. If you were involved in a car accident and it was due to the negligence, distraction, or outright error in judgement of another person, it is imperative that you act accordingly in order to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
More than six million car accidents occur each year in the United States, and while the majority of them are not very serious, one in three collisions involve injury to the driver or another occupant of the car. Regardless of how minor or serious the car accident was, it is imperative that you follow the steps we will go over below. Unfortunately, two out of every ten accidents result in fatal injuries, some of which could have been prevented. If you have been involved in a car accident in Oklahoma, take the following steps in order to protect yourself and your passengers:
- Pull Over Immediately. One of the biggest mistakes people make following a car accident is not stopping. Even if it seems like there is little to no damage to your car, it is absolutely imperative that you pull over and call the police. This is true even if no one is hurt. Keep in mind that it is illegal to simply exchange insurance information without contacting the police.
- Make Sure the Scene is Secure and Everyone is Safe. Depending on the type and location of the accident, it is important that you take proper steps to prevent any further accidents or injuries from occurring. If anyone is injured, make sure you let the police know when you call them. Similarly, if anyone seems to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, tell the police and keep a watchful eye on everyone at the scene.
- Ask Questions and Take Notes. While you may be running on adrenaline following a car accident, it is important that you take in as many details as possible. Both the police and your insurance company will need as much information as possible, so it is a good idea to ask questions and try to find out the following:
- Is anyone injured?
- What was the weather like – could it have been a factor?
- Were any of the involved vehicles damaged?
- Was any of the damage present before the accident?
- Were any of the vehicles company-owned?
- Did anyone take blame for the accident?
- Make sure you get the names and badge numbers of all responding police officers
- Seek Medical Attention. In many instances, injuries caused by car accidents are not immediately apparent. In fact, many people report experiencing pain several days after the accident. This is why it is incredibly important that you seek medical attention immediately following an accident.
- Call an Attorney. Even if you have parted ways with the other driver after an accident and things feel amicable, it is important that you contact an attorney. You never know what the other driver is thinking and, especially if it isn’t your fault.
These are just a few of the most important steps that you should take following a car accident. For more information about car accidents in Oklahoma, please contact Atkins & Markoff today.