What to Consider When Choosing a Personal Injury Attorney
Access to legal representation has relatively improved for many Americans today as compared to what it was before. People know more about their rights as customers, citizens, employees and patients. The combination of more awareness and increased access to a legal counsel has brought many people to court to demand justice for personal matters such as marital issues and personal injury cases. Many have received what they deserved and others have lost the legal battle due to many reasons. One of the reasons for not getting what they deserve is the wrong choice of lawyer. Insufficient time and resources, and the lack of knowledge about how to look for the right kind of lawyer can keep you from winning in the courtroom.
To find the right lawyer for your personal injury case, it is important to keep the following in mind:
- Start looking for legal help as soon as you realize you need it. Finding the right lawyer can take time so start as early as you can.
- Figure out what area within personal injury does your case fall in. Is it a medical malpractice case, a product defect case, or a vehicle accident case? This will help you narrow down to law firms or attorneys who have experience and knowledge about that specific area.
- The Internet is a very helpful tool when it comes to finding personal injury attorneys in your area/city/state. Try finding out more about the firm/lawyer using their website, social media and reviews on different websites. On the website look for how many cases they have handled in the area you are interested in, what awards and certification do they currently have and what types of settlements do they claim.
- Apart from an Internet search make sure you talk to family and friends to know if they have ever hired a personal injury attorney for a similar issue.
- Most law firms/attorney offices offer free consultation so make use of that. It will help you get to know the firm better and help you decide which one to go for. Make sure you prepare a list of questions before you call or set up a meeting. Questions should include the following
- If the law firm has experience representing clients in a similar case as yours.
- If yes, is it possible for you to talk to a couple of clients about their experience or read their testimonials.
- What is the firm’s fee structure for their legal services?
- Is it possible to talk to the attorney who will be handling the case, in the case that you become their client?
Along with your search for the right legal representation, it is important that you simultaneously work on collecting as much evidence as you can to support your case. Certain evidence is time bound and by the time you find the right lawyer you may not have access to strong evidence. Moreover, your attorney should have knowledge about state laws related to your case as that can profoundly affect how he/she presents your situation to the judges/jury.
If you are looking for a personal injury attorney in Oklahoma, you should consider Atkins and Markoff as your legal representative. Our competent and experienced personal injury attorneys have recovered $75 million in settlements for their clients in cases related to drunk driving, car accidents, nursing home abuse and many more personal injury areas. Our extensive website gives you access to all our practice areas with testimonials and settlement details. For a free consultation with our attorneys contact us so that we can personally guide you through your legal journey.